Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What might have been?

This fake cover is made by Knightfall, who recently posted about it on the Piazza. Its a shame that Mystara was never followed up by WotC neither for 3E or 4E, but looking at what happened to the Realms, maybe we are better off? I expect most of the readers of this blog have little interest in these later editions, but I think it is cool that Blackmoor was published for OD&D, BECMI, 3E and 4E. Only a few settings have seen such coverage.





-Havard

2 comments:

  1. Me, I'd much rather it be limited to the OSR. It's far more accessible to me that way. Arneson's First Fantasy Campaign was kind of a mess when ported to 3E, I much prefer the original Judges Guild product.

    Same thing goes for Blackmoor. While it might be nice to see it get more recognition, I see Blackmoor as being more vibrant when kept alive by hobbyists, not companies. Same thing with GPL software -- OpenOffice enlisted the help of software giant Oracle, and they messed up a great thing. Somehow, when kept alive by fans things seem purer and less corrupt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liken the First Fantasy Campaign to the Silmarillion. If you already like Tokien, I will recommend that you read the Silmarillion, but if you are new to fantasy, I will suggest you start with something else. I love the FFC, but it is not a good introductory item, perhaps except if you come from a wargaming background. I don't agree with all the priorities made by ZGG, but their 3.5 Blackmoor CS is a great introduction to the setting, regardless of what edition you actually play (I use Savage Worlds myself). :)

    I hear what you say about the fans keeping it alive though! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blackmoor Like Map Used for Runehammer's Crown & Skull RPG?

  Crown & Skull is a new TTRPG created by  Brandish Gilhelm, Hankerin Ferninale and Ingrid Burnall and published by Runehammer Games. T...