Sunday, May 8, 2011

More trouble at the Piazza

This picture sums up my feelings about not being able to post on my favorite D&D forum, the Piazza, this Weekend. I talked to the Piazza admin yesterday and she asked me to convey the following message:

After the previous hacking attempt, all files on the host were examined and cleaned of injected malware scripting, all passwords changed (including forum admin user, ftp, and server interface accounts), and these pass...words were used only from a machine that had been examined for trojans, key  loggers, and other malware. This fixed the problem... for about two  weeks. When a fresh attack injected malware scripting, I immediately  locked the forum. I have taken backup copies of the database and hosted  files. I am awaiting a response from the host regarding my request for a complete copy of the server logs, which they appear unwilling or unable to provide. At this stage, it is looking very likely that The Piazza  will be moving to a new host. Based on the information I have so far, the most likely problem is another website hosted on the same virtual  server (and therefore invisible to me, but visible to the host) which is able to inject malware code on to other sites on the same virtual host.
 Hopefully this situation will be resolved as soon as possible. I know that Ashtagon is working hard at finding a sollution, so please try to keep your frustration under control just as I am. The Piazza will return, of that there is no doubt!



-Havard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blackmoor Player Bill Hoyt Shares Campaign Notes in Free PDF

  Bill Hoyt is one of the surviving members of the Blackmoor Bunch, the group that played in Dave's Blackmoor campaign and parttook in o...