Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Complete Classic

Over the last couple of weeks I have finally gotten my hands on Holmes Basic, Cook/Marsh Basic and Moldvay/Cook Expert. Since the 1980s I have owned the complete BECMI D&D (along with the RC in the 90s), but it has been nice to add the other versions of Classic D&D to my collection. Frank Mentzer's BECMI remains my favorite version of D&D, but it is interesting to see the little variations in the previous versions. In general I prefer looking at all of these as pretty much the same game. Modules, supplements and other elements are easily used between all of them so having the whole collection really makes me feel proud to say that I am a fan of classic D&D.



-Havard

5 comments:

  1. Awesome!

    My love for the old "Basic" game has grown in the last couple of years. So much so I have been wanting to get my new Witch books out for it.

    These are just fun books to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. I, too, appreciate each of the iterations of Basic. Now that you are a card-carrying member of the Blue Book club, you can visit my new Holmes Basic blog.

    I've added this post and some of your older ones to my Blog Roundup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim: Definately fun books! :)
    Zenopus: Thanks for the link. Signed up now :)

    -Havard

    ReplyDelete
  4. So are you going for the complete set? I think there are two more to go...just for completeness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ADD Grognard: Are you referring to AD&D 1st and 2nd? If so, I already have those. Still missing OD&D however... :/

    ReplyDelete

Blackmoor Player Bill Hoyt Shares Campaign Notes in Free PDF

  Bill Hoyt is one of the surviving members of the Blackmoor Bunch, the group that played in Dave's Blackmoor campaign and parttook in o...